[wix-users] Change a property in a Standard Dialog

George Legge george at haglis.co.uk
Tue Nov 3 18:10:22 PST 2015

Hi,

I have a requirement to add an additional line of text into the CustomizeDlg
to inform the user (our developers actually) that a particular Feature is
unavailable if they do not have IIS installed. It will still allow them to
install the other features, they just need to be informed of the fact.

I have been able to add a new line quite easily but I need to either change
the text or switch from hidden=yes to hidden=no.

I simply added another Text line, under the existing Id="Text" line, which I
only want to display under certain circumstances.

I also created a Localization file with a with a new variable just for this
purpose. I also created a Custom Action to change the text from hidden=yes
to hidden=no, but this part does not work and I cant see how I can get this
to work. I also tried to simply change the text in the Loc.CustomizeDlgText1
in the localization file but couldn't get that to work either.

I realise this is a bit of a hack, but its all still in development and just
need it until I get a proper full on Custom BA done.

Here is the new definition I put into my customised CustomizeDlg -

                <Control Id="CustomText" Type="Text" X="25" Y="68"
Width="320" Height="18" Text="!(loc.CustomizeDlgText1)" Hidden="yes" />

Here is the localization file, which has the en-us suffix too -

                <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

<WixLocalization Culture="en-us"
xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/wix/2006/localization">

  <String Id="CustomizeDlgText1" Overridable="yes"><!--
_locID_text="CustomizeDlgText1" _locComment="CustomizeDlgText1" -->Test
text2.</String>

</WixLocalization>

Here is the customaction (I tried various "Before" options too) -

                <CustomAction Id="NoIISText" Property="CustomizeDlgText1"
Value='"Hidden="yes"' Execute="immediate" />

    <!--Installation UI sequence configuration.-->

    <InstallUISequence>

      <Custom Action="NoIISText" Before="CostInitialize">NOT
IISMAJORVERSION</Custom>

    </InstallUISequence>

So if anyone can see what I am missing here, or if its not even possible or
if there is a better way to achieve this then I would be happy to hear from
you.

Many thanks, George.