[wix-users] Multiple installs on the same environment

KONDURU Pavan Pavan.KONDURU at 3ds.com
Wed Jul 29 11:00:24 PDT 2015

Hi Iulian,

We had a similar request from to move an installer written in InstallAnywhere to WIX and provide the multiple instance/Upgrade feature.
Trust me , don't even try attempting to do this with WIX. WIX is a very powerful MSI technology that relies on keeping track of each and every file/components installed on a system.
There are ways to do multiple installs(through transforms) in WIX, but trust you will run into a minefield when you have to patch or upgrade installations. We use WIX extensively at our company for most of our installers.
But for the scenario that you have to provide I would suggest going to NSIS technology which worked for me.

--Pavan