[wix-users] Does parent of a companion file always need to be from the same feature?

Rob Mensching rob at firegiant.com
Mon Jul 27 21:52:34 PDT 2015

I've never heard that companion file needed to be in the same Feature. However, given the key path limitations of companion files are hard to use them outside of the same Component anyway. So maybe that answers your second question.

Also, IMHO, the answer from MSFT support is quite poor. Patching is so squirrely (I generally recommend avoiding it) that more documentation will only help.

 FireGiant  |  Dedicated support for the WiX toolset  |  http://www.firegiant.com/