[wix-users] Single MSI with no setup.exe?

Wesley Manning wmanning at dynagen.ca
Fri Dec 18 06:44:11 PST 2015

(Not really an guru in wix/msi but my two cents)

>From the sounds of it you have access to the wix xml it generates.  Can you check and see if it runs any custom actions?

A proper MSI (assuming it has a GUI) will present a series of dialogs to the user to obtain information for the install.  Once it has gathered all the information it will go into the second phase and if needed (i.e. if installing to machine locations) it will ask for elevation and this second phase does all the changes (and handles rollback if things go wrong).

In the first phase you can have custom actions (called intermediate custom actions) that you can write to get info from the user, etc.  But these custom actions shouldn't have access to admin areas or change anything on the computer at all.  Then you can write deferred custom actions that actually take place in the second phase and those can write in machine/admin locations and these would/should handle rollback if the install fails for any reason.

It could be that maybe they are using an intermediate custom action to do the registration and thus need elevation rights away instead of doing it in a deferred custom action.  I can't think of anything else.

Just guessing.  I never had to write any custom actions for my projects.

Wes