[wix-users] Install the .NET Framework Using Burn with packaging the .NET Framework redistributable

Martin Cornelius Martin.Cornelius at datron.de
Mon Dec 14 04:02:04 PST 2015

Hi Goran,

I’dlike to pack ecerything in one .exe, here is my bundle source:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<Wix xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/wix/2006/wi"

     xmlns:util="http://schemas.microsoft.com/wix/UtilExtension">

  <Bundle Name="MyBootstrapper" Version="1.0.0.0" Manufacturer="WiX Tests"

          UpgradeCode="416b6bbf-2beb-4187-9f83-cdb764db2840">

    <BootstrapperApplicationRef Id="ManagedBootstrapperApplicationHost">

      <Payload SourceFile="$(var.CustomBA.TargetDir)CustomBA.dll" />

      <Payload SourceFile="$(var.CustomBA.TargetDir)BootstrapperCore.config" />

      <Payload SourceFile="$(var.CustomBA.TargetDir)Microsoft.Practices.Prism.dll" />

    </BootstrapperApplicationRef>

    <Chain DisableSystemRestore="yes">

      <!-- .Net Framework 4.6 -->

      <PackageGroupRef Id="NetFx46Web" />

      <!-- The App -->

      <MsiPackage SourceFile="$(var.MyInstaller.TargetPath)" />

    </Chain>

    <PayloadGroup Id ="NetFx46RedistPayload">

      <Payload Name ="redist\NDP46-KB3045557-x86-x64-AllOS-ENU.exe"

               SourceFile="downloads\NDP46-KB3045557-x86-x64-AllOS-ENU.exe" />

    </PayloadGroup>

  </Bundle>

</Wix>

The installer produced by building this bundle obvioulsly contains the .net disribution, it has about 64 MB. However, if I try to execute it on a machine that has no networlk connection, it doesn’t work.

BTW, can you remember where your read that packaging the .NET redistributable is illegal ? If this is really the case, I would certainly refrain from doing it, and the question of how to accomplish the packaging would remain irrelevant.

This rises another question: We’d also like to package MS SQL Express LocalDB into our product installer. If redistributing .NET is illegal, I suspect that redistributing  of SQL Express could also be illegal. Do you have any information about this issue ?

Kind regards, Martin