[wix-users] Adding SQLEXPRESS install in a WIX installation

Ian Bell ib at ianbellsoftware.com
Tue Dec 1 16:25:53 PST 2015

I came across the following post yesterday about bootstrapping SQL:

'http://stackoverflow.com/questions/18930854/bootstrapping-sql-express-from-
wix'  about bootstrapping SQL yesterday.

I too am very new to WIX so I may be completely off the mark.  But the
sample WIX code by Neil Sleightholm seems to show how you check for and
install SQL Express.  The 'Vital' attribute has been set to 'yes' which,
from what I've read, means the installation fails if SQL cannot be
installed.   This code searches the registry to confirm an instance of SQL
exists (i.e. see util:ResearchSearch Id="SqlInstanceFound"
...Condition="SqlInstanceFound").

Hope this helps or points you in the right direction.

Ian