[wix-users] Handling files that are not part of initial install

Patterson, Brent bcpatterson at xactware.com
Mon Aug 31 13:13:08 PDT 2015

I ran into another issue with converting from InstallShield to WiX.  This one is about config files that can be modified by administrators for silent installs.  In Installshield, there's a custom action that copies those files over after the initial install is installed.  It references to "SourceDir".  I checked, the "Uninstall" registry records its location as the place where it was ran from.  When I try and replicate this in WiX, the "SourceDir" points to PackageCache location in ProgramData folder, causing this to fail.  This is for MSI, not burn bundles, but I do run the MSI from a burn bundle.

So there's two options, but I'm not sure how to accomplish either:

1.       Have the SourceDir point to the actual location of the installer, not the cached location that it was copied to.  This is the original behavior, and I'd like to replicate this if possible.  I tried setting Feature element's "InstallDefault" to either local or source, but it doesn't seem to do anything.  I think maybe this is a bit too late in the sequence of events to change anything.

2.       If the above isn't possible, somehow include the files that's not part of the MSI install as part of the caching process, so that it won't break the custom action.  I'd prefer to preserve the relative folder path.

How can I accomplish one of those?  I've scoured the internet trying to find answers, but I'm stumped.  Thanks.