[wix-users] Wix 3.10.0.1823 does not update PATH variable.

Paul Hirose cfuhb-acdgw at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 20 13:52:11 PDT 2015

Speaking of paths, I think the tutorial should include tips for users
who don't get much practice with the Windows command prompt. (That would
include me.) Some compilers have a command line shortcut, but it's not
always convenient.

For instance, Silverfrost Fortran installs a command line shortcut on
the Start Menu. However, the shortcut puts you in the directory of the
compiler executable, so you have to navigate to your source files.

It's easier to get the target of the shortcut and create a one-line .bat
file to open a command window and run the target:

%comspec% /k "C:\Program Files (x86)\Silverfrost\FTN95\fvars.bat"

That batch file puts you in the directory where it was launched.

WiX has no command line launcher as far as I know, so I used this .bat file:

path C:\Program Files (x86)\WiX Toolset v3.9\bin
%comspec%

On 2015-08-20 7:10, Phill Hogland wrote:
> The Wix Toolset setup (both 3.9 and 3.10) creates a "WIX" Environment variable which has the path to the WixToolset application folder.

I didn't know that. Now my file is improved to:

path %wix%\bin
%comspec%