[wix-devs] Build and test with Windows on Arm

Pierrick Bouvier pierrick.bouvier at linaro.org
Fri Sep 30 01:36:02 PDT 2022

Hello Wix developers,

at Linaro, we are working with Microsoft help enable and test projects
for Windows on Arm (https://www.linaro.org/windows-on-arm/). Wix is
widely used, and is a project where we are focusing our attention now.

As a first step, I've been trying to build and run tests for Wix4 on
this platform (using devbuild.cmd).

I successfully installed dependencies:
- dotnet 35 sp1
- dotnet 6 sdk (for all arch)
- VS components for ASP/Dotnet dev
- dotnet core (for x86/x64)

The problem is that some tests are trying to run using dotnet core, and
on arm64 platform. However, dotnet core 3.1 is not installable for arm64
(and probably won't be, as it's reaching end of support in December 2022).

Is there a way to deactivate those tests for this platform specifically?

Beyond that, why Wix is supporting all those older Dotnet versions
(customers need or codebase need)?

Thanks,
Pierrick

---

Error log is:

   CompileCoreTestExtensionWixlib ->
...\wix\Debug\test\CompileCoreTestExtensionWixlib\netcoreapp3.1\CompileCoreTestExtensionWixlib.dll
   You must install or update .NET to run this application.

   App:
...\test\CompileCoreTestExtensionWixlib\netcoreapp3.1\CompileCoreTestExtensionWixlib.dll
   Architecture: arm64
   Framework: 'Microsoft.NETCore.App', version '3.1.0' (arm64)
   .NET location: C:\Program Files\dotnet\

   The following frameworks were found:
     6.0.9 at [C:\Program Files\dotnet\shared\Microsoft.NETCore.App]

   Learn about framework resolution:
   https://aka.ms/dotnet/app-launch-failed

   To install missing framework, download:

https://aka.ms/dotnet-core-applaunch?framework=Microsoft.NETCore.App&framework_version=3.1.0&arch=arm64&rid=win10-arm64
C:\work\recipes\wix4\wix4\src\wix\test\CompileCoreTestExtensionWixlib\CompileCoreTestExtensionWixlib.csproj(28,5):
error MSB3073: The command "dotnet
C:\work\recipes\wix4\wix4\build\wix\Debug\test\CompileCoreTes
tExtensionWixlib\netcoreapp3.1\CompileCoreTestExtensionWixlib.dll
"C:\work\recipes\wix4\wix4\build\wix\obj\CompileCoreTestExtensionWixlib\Debug\netcoreapp3.1\
" "C:\work\recipes\wix4\wix4\build\wix\TestData\Debu g\example.wixlib"
"example.wxs"" exited with code -2147450730.