[wix-devs] Burn support for WM_SETTINGSCHANGED to refresh environment variables

Rob Mensching rob at firegiant.com
Thu Jul 7 11:59:34 PDT 2022

> If we are deciding when to check the registry, then we are effectively declining the issue since it was requesting we update the environment whenever WM_SETTINGCHANGE is received.

The important part of the feature request is to allow "A chained package could modify the environment and if Burn refreshed its environment variables, subsequent executable packages could be created with the updated variables." https://github.com/wixtoolset/issues/issues/5981

WM_SETTINGCHANGE was the solution I proposed since my memory said that is what MSI broadcasts after it updates environment variables. I'm totally cool if the following (or something else) is a better solution:

> > A more targeted approach might be to add the ability to specify a
> > specific environment variable that gets overwritten in the current
> > process by the default after a package has run.

> I don't want to acknowledge that the user environment variables in the elevated process is something we should worry about.

Okay. I'm still uncertain what the guidelines are for elevated processes updating their environment block post-CreateProcess() but if others aren't concerned then I'll worry less.