[wix-devs] WIXBUG3704 - Allow access to persisted variables from related bundles

Ron Martin cpuwzd at comcast.net
Tue May 4 09:51:02 PDT 2021

Some of the things I thought about before making my suggestion:

If all of the strings we store in the registry (in this context) are
differentiated by their first character,
many new types can be added later if necessary. A single switch
statement can be used to separate the type. Unrecognized types can be
passed through extensions.

The registry was not designed for flexibility or extensibility. Binary
data can be organized for
straight-forward decoding, just as string data, but for debugging
purposes, it is much easier
to decode strings than raw binary representation of multiple data
structures.

Registry strings should not be used to store binary data in its raw form
because there is a
potential for truncation when a null character is encountered. Registry
strings are constrained
to UTF-16 with no encoding prefix.

Ron