[wix-devs] 5125 - Force cache if already present

Sean Hall r.sean.hall at gmail.com
Wed Mar 31 19:46:03 PDT 2021

We discussed this at length in
https://www.firegiant.com/blog/2021/3/18/wix-online-meeting-208-highlights/
(starts at 34:15).  We discussed adding a cache request state to
OnPlanPackageBegin with the available options mirroring the options for the
Cache attribute (no/yes/always -> remove/keep/force).

In OnPlanPackageBegin, the BA can change the request state of the package.
The bundle author can influence the default request state with the
InstallCondition.

I think that the bundle author should have a similar ability to influence
the default cache request state. For example, they might want to have a
variable like LITEBUNDLE that they use to determine whether to keep
packages in the cache. Similarly, a different person might want
a HEAVYBUNDLE variable to determine whether to force cache everything.
Because there are three options, these can't be done by a simple condition
attribute. With this in mind, does it make more sense why I was trying to
push to separate "remove" from "force"? Does this change how you think it
should be exposed in OnPlanPackageBegin, or would there just be this weird
inconsistency where there would be multiple condition attributes for Cache?