[wix-devs] 6297 fallout

Ron Martin cpuwzd at comcast.net
Tue Mar 9 17:31:50 PST 2021

Although I'm not up on the topic of bundles and their dependencies, I'm
pretty good on logic and processes, so let me give this topic a generalist's

When a bundle has a dependency, the dependency should be reference
counted and installed (and installed if reference count is now 1) before the
dependent. If the bundle (or the dependent) fails to install, the reference
counter should be decremented (and uninstalled if reference count is now 0)
during rollback. If the real intent is that the dependency should be
installed
regardless of the success or failure of the bundle installation, then the
dependency should be installed by some external means. This could be in
the form of a separate bundle that could be installed before the bundle
under
consideration, assuming that you have some means of enforcing the order.
This provides a means of uninstalling the otherwise stranded dependency.