[wix-devs] Product and Package elements

Bob Arnson bob at firegiant.com
Sat Sep 26 11:03:15 PDT 2020

Minor update to this proposal is in updated WIP: https://wixtoolset.org/development/wips/5377-deprecate-and-remove-package-element/

-----Original Message-----
From: wix-devs <wix-devs-bounces at lists.wixtoolset.org> On Behalf Of Bob Arnson via wix-devs
Sent: Monday, 7 September, 2020 18:44
To: WiX Toolset Developer Mailing List <wix-devs at lists.wixtoolset.org>
Cc: Bob Arnson <bob at firegiant.com>
Subject: [wix-devs] Product and Package elements

Years ago, I proposed removing the Package element, mostly by removing some edge-case functionality and moving generally-useful functionality to the Product element. The WIP for that is at https://wixtoolset.org/development/wips/5377-deprecate-and-remove-package-element/. The wix-devs thread at the time got the feedback that Product/@Manufacturer might sometimes need to differ from Package/@Manufacturer due to how DifxApp works. Bummer. Otherwise, there was no objection that I can find.

However, while writing this mail, I've begun to have second thoughts about removing Package entirely given the open issues. Here's my new proposal:

  *   Move mandatory and interesting attributes from Package to Product.
  *   Remove useless attributes from Package.
  *   Keep Package around for the other not-quite-useless edge-case attributes. Package would be optional unless you need those attributes.

Concerns? Questions? Objections? If not, I'll update the WIP and implement it.