[wix-devs] 4822 - Delay ARP registration in Bundles until a non-permanent package is installed
bob at firegiant.com
Sun Jun 28 13:39:13 PDT 2020
It needs to register and be cached to restart on reboot, right? If all packages are permanent and not cached, then automatic unregiration/uncache seems reasonable.
From: wix-devs <wix-devs-bounces at lists.wixtoolset.org> On Behalf Of Sean Hall via wix-devs
Sent: Sunday, 28 June, 2020 07:17
To: WiX Toolset Developer Mailing List <wix-devs at lists.wixtoolset.org>
Cc: Sean Hall <r.sean.hall at gmail.com>
Subject: [wix-devs] 4822 - Delay ARP registration in Bundles until a non-permanent package is installed
I'm interested in implementing
https://github.com/wixtoolset/issues/issues/4822. This is the hard scenario that needs to be solved:
1. User starts the per-machine bundle on a clean machine.
2. The bundle has an MBA and needs to install the .NET Framework.
3. The bundle caches itself into the package cache.
4. The bundle registers in ARP.
5. The bundle creates a RunOnce key.
6. The bundle installs the permanent .NET package, which requires a reboot.
7. The bundle updates the RunOnce key to resume after the reboot.
8. The user allows the prereq BA to reboot the machine.
9. RunOnce starts the bundle elevated.
Because RunOnce always starts the target program elevated, we need to cache the bundle into the package cache (or other protected area) to be secure.
In order to allow the user to clean up their machine, we are registering in ARP to give them a way to clean the cache.
If we want to implement this feature, I think we're going to have to allow the possibility of the bundle being cached without an ARP entry. Either Burn removes the ARP registration somewhere between 6 and 8, or it never registers in the first place (because all planned packages are permanent).
Is this acceptable or is this feature not possible?
WiX Toolset Developer Mailing List provided by FireGiant http://www.firegiant.com/
More information about the wix-devs