[wix-devs] WIP 6108: .NET Core SCD-style BA

Rob Mensching rob at firegiant.com
Fri Jan 17 10:44:55 PST 2020

I don't have enough context to know if separate BAs are needed. If the two options share "enough" code on BA is fine. Otherwise, if there are interesting differences, separate BAs is fine as well. Picking the correct ba.dll out of the Bal.wixext will be straight forward.

Question: When would SCD ever need the prereq BA? I thought the whole point of "self-contained" was that it would never need anything else installed. Is it possible a .NET Core WPF/WinForms app would need other packages installed? VCRedist? Other? At a certain level, supporting "other stuff" is a bit of an anti-feature. The BA UI should be lightweight and just show UI. It's not intended to change the system in a big way.

Regards,

  Rob Mensching
  CEO
  FireGiant