[wix-devs] 4991 - Handling of related bundles missing from cache

Sean Hall r.sean.hall at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 14:08:42 PST 2020

1. File size makes it practically impossible for an attacker to change the
contents of the file and still get the same hash. Burn always uses the hash
and the file size when verifying by hash.

2. I think you're referring to skipping during Plan. The engine needs the
bundle in the cache in order to execute it (for security). If the engine
doesn't have the hash and file size, then it's not going to put a random
file in the package cache. So there's no way that the engine is going to
plan that bundle, so why notify the BA about a package during Plan that
will never make it into the plan?

3. Why? It needs the stripped bundle, it knows how to strip a bundle. UX
container != attached container. Stripped bundle == bundle with only UX
container.