[wix-devs] WixComPlusExtension Status Update 4

Allen, Eric M. (Tax&Accounting Prof) eric.allen at thomsonreuters.com
Fri Sep 6 07:23:19 PDT 2019

I've managed to get a repo for my timing issue demo case:
https://github.com/thomsonreuters/wix3_issue_6061

My fork with modifications is at:
https://github.com/thomsonreuters/wix3/tree/imported_component

I put the repo steps into the comments inside:
https://github.com/thomsonreuters/wix3_issue_6061/blob/master/SimpleComPlus/Imported.wxs

To actually debug it, as per the Microsoft documentation, set a system level environment variable
MsiBreak=ConfigureComPlusInstall
(if you want to see the reading of the table)
Or
MsiBreak=ComPlusInstallExecuteCommit
(if you only care about the actual failure)

The line that will fail will be in:
https://github.com/thomsonreuters/wix3/blob/imported_component/src/ext/ComPlusExtension/ca/cpexec/cpimpcompexec.cpp
line 237.

As near as I can tell, I need to find some way of guaranteeing that the registry writes are visible
*to all processes* by the time that line executes. I don't know whether transactions might be a factor.

I'm testing this on Windows 10, in case it matters.

Thank you for your recommendations.

Eric M. Allen
Lead Software Developer

Thomson Reuters