[wix-devs] Question about Merge Modules using WIX

Christopher Painter chrpai at iswix.com
Wed Jan 9 09:23:10 PST 2019

Personally I would create a burn bootstrapper and redist the vcredist.exe version of your runtime instead.  I've had a lot of pain with third party merge modules over the years.

If you really do want to use the merge modules,  realize you can't  really change their behavior  so  the way you'd go about it is associate the merge module to an optional feature and use appsearch / feature conditions to control the installation request state of the feature and thereby the installation of the components  merged in by the merge module.

But honestly... a bootstrapper bundle is the safer way to go IMHO.