[wix-devs] A quick balextension question

Blair Murri osito at live.com
Tue Feb 19 19:09:10 PST 2019

If you are referring to the executable we call a bundle: from the burn section of the code the folder "stub" calls into the code in "engine", which loads whatever UX (called the BA/Bootstrapper Application) has been configured.

If the WixStdBA was configured, that code the engine loads is found in there somewhere (IIRC). If managed code BA is configured, then the mba/mbahost code provides the managed/native transitions, and the WixStdBA provides the UX used for loading any prerequisite packages.

The above folder names apply to the wix3 and wix4 repos. For the new WiX v4 repos, that mapping hasn't changed much (yet)

If the user provides their own BA, then the UX is entirely up to them.

If you are referring to how the bundle exe is assembled, it's pretty much all in the binder