[wix-devs] Signing build output

Rob Mensching rob at firegiant.com
Thu Dec 20 09:31:38 PST 2018

1. Note: This will be an ongoing problem. Our focus has moved to WiX v4. We will not be doing ongoing releases of WiX v3 (v3.14 is a special case to aid migration to v4.0).

2. That is the code. We only sign the bundles today, so the MSI/CAB signing targets are commented out.

3. I do see value in being able test the signing process on a dev machine. I don't think we should do any work to test-sign dev builds.

Other thoughts:

a. Any work done in WiX v3.14 must first be implemented in WiX v4.0.

b. Signing with .NET Foundation is now more complicated than the code in WixBuild.wixproj.targets would suggest. The certificate they provided me to directly sign builds expired this year. Now the .NET Foundation has a signing service where binaries are sent for signing. I have not done any more research into the process yet.

c. I'm torn about taking this change into v3.14 because it does not help migration to v4.0. However, there is (potentially) a good chunk of work needed to integrate with the new .NET Foundation signing service. So, if you're willing to do the work to set up v4.0 with the new signing process I could horse trade that for the signing changes also to v3.14.