[wix-devs] #5658 - Burn problem with AV

Blair Murri osito at live.com
Wed Dec 19 11:59:14 PST 2018

ShipIt(tm)

________________________________
From: wix-devs <wix-devs-bounces at lists.wixtoolset.org> on behalf of Sean Hall via wix-devs <wix-devs at lists.wixtoolset.org>
Sent: Tuesday, December 18, 2018 9:07:09 PM
To: WiX Toolset Developer Mailing List
Cc: Sean Hall
Subject: Re: [wix-devs] #5658 - Burn problem with AV

Apparently Avast acquired AVG a couple of years ago, they're essentially
the same product now (so yes, this solution works with AVG). I could not
reproduce with Sophos and no one mentioned it in the issue, have you seen
issues with it?

The PC Matic Supershield works differently than Avast/AVG. It blocks
execution on the elevated bundle. This solution does not address that,
though manually retrying like the WiX bundle allows does work. The log
looks like:

[04:54:01]i300: Apply begin
[04:54:01]i010: Launching elevated engine process
[04:54:06]e000: Error 0x80070005: Failed to launch elevated child process:
[path]\.be\bundle.exe
[04:54:06]e000: Error 0x80070005: Failed to elevate
[04:54:06]e000: Error 0x80070005: Failed to actually elevate
[04:54:06]e000: Error 0x80070005: Failed to elevate
[04:54:06]i399: Apply complete, result: 0x80070005, restart: None, ba
requested restart: No