[wix-devs] Signing build output

Christopher Painter chrpai at iswix.com
Sat Dec 15 16:22:44 PST 2018

I'm trying really hard but just can't get it to build.  I'm trying to do the official unofficial build scenario.

I've installed the latest versions/patches of 2010, 2012, 2013, 2015 and 2017 (wow)  and carefully selected the C++ XP  components.   It seems the msbuild files don't autodetect 2017 so I have to pass VS2017Path to get 2017Available to get past the prereq checks.

I get this error:

2018-12-16T00:14:44.9300330Z ##[error]C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\V140\Microsoft.Cpp.Platform.targets(57,5): Error MSB8020: The build tools for v141_xp (Platform Toolset = 'v141_xp') cannot be found. To build using the v141_xp build tools, please install v141_xp build tools.  Alternatively, you may upgrade to the current Visual Studio tools by selecting the Project menu or right-click the solution, and then selecting "Retarget solution".

I couldn't even get the vcxproj to load in VS2017 unless I set the environment variable DoBundleInstallationChecks=false as found in this thread.

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/problem/190287/vs2017-cant-detect-installed-winxp-component.html

I just don't know enough about VS C++ projects to understand how to fix this.  Any suggestions are appreciated.