[wix-devs] WiX 4.0 Progress Report

Edwin Castro egcastr at gmail.com
Fri Dec 28 13:10:17 PST 2018

I've been listening in on the various conversations going on for WiX 4.0. I
find those discussions fascinating. The discussion on micro repos got be
wondering if WiX 4.0 progress is getting shared anywhere. I looked through
the blogs listed at http://wixtoolset.org/news/ but they don't generally
contain much information on how much is done nor how much is left.

I'm personally curious on how much is left with the understanding that
things change and what is left can sometimes increase unexpectedly as more
is learned throughout the project. Ultimately, my goal is to get a sense of
when, approximately, WiX 4.0 will become available. Weeks, months,
quarters, years? I don't expect it to be weeks but I'm hoping it is very
unlikely to be years.

There was a time when Rob's blog had posts on stabilization efforts for the
version of WiX under development at the time (v3.6? I can't remember).
Getting a sense of how many bugs were getting added and fixed through time
really helped get sense of when the release might happen. That reminds me
that I should look at open issues. That might help give me a sense of what
is currently planned.

--
Edwin G. Castro