[wix-devs] Running WiX on Linux using Mono

Blair Murri osito at live.com
Sun Jun 18 00:24:22 PDT 2017

IIRC WiXv4 is (or at least at one point was to be) built using .net v4 (with no .net v3 dependency, sing we no longer support VS versions older than 2010, and v4 provides various things (e.g more in-box compression algorithms) that could reduce the dependence on native code.

My vote would be along the lines of moving things into C#. What I don't favor is a having potentially platform independent code unused in the majority platform (i.e. don't write (much) code in C# that won't be run on Windows).

My biggest hesitation is moving away from documented APIs where the implementation is not itself documented (i.e. much of msi.dll).

Not sure how to balance those two requirements, although a .idt/.cab output from light isn't necessarily a bad idea from my POV.

I'm interested in other opinions “from the peanut gallery”, as Rob oft quips in triage meetings.

Blair Murri

Sent from my Windows 10 phone