[wix-devs] Running WiX on Linux using Mono

Rob Mensching rob at firegiant.com
Sat Jul 8 15:10:55 PDT 2017

1. .NET Core - I would recommend holding off porting your work to WiX v4. My experiments with .NET Core 2.0 plus your and Simon's feedback have me pretty convinced that I'll be making that move as part of: http://wixtoolset.org/development/wips/5489-repository-reorganization/. I'll add to the agenda for this week's WiX Online Meeting to talk a little bit about plans here.

I've taken a bit of a break from WiX work in June/July after the big push to get WiX v3.11 done (which once again took way more effort than I really wanted to put into a v3.x release). I'll be back in WiX v4 in August.

Once I get through the first pass of the reorganization, I'll definitely appreciate extra eyes on fixing whatever issues remain.

2. x-plat - I had hopes that x-plat would work as well as you make it sounds like it does. But I was afraid to hope to much. Given where we're going with the WIX Toolset, if we can do straight forward things to support x-plat, I'd be very interested if those of you on Linux helped out.

3. no-Wine - I'll follow up on these topics with Simon's responses. Net-net, it's sounding very much like if we isolate our native code requirements to a single executable with well-defined input (cmd-line) and output (stdout) then this may be more straightforward than I'd hoped.

4. niche - cross compiling MSI's may be niche but I'm looking at extending the supported outputs from the WiX Toolset. You can already see what we've done at FireGiant for Desktop Bridge and Nano Server AppX Packages (https://www.firegiant.com/products/wix-expansion-pack/appx/). So, there may be a place we get where certain outputs from the WiX Toolset are less "niche" on Linux.

So, I'm interested enough in Linux because of the promise of .NET Core 2.0 and (what appears to be) our ability to isolate non-managed code.

Give me a few more weeks to get caught up on my FireGiant work and I expect we'll see a WiX v4.0 build on .NET Core 2.0 pretty quickly.