[wix-devs] Running WiX on Linux using Mono

Rob Mensching rob at firegiant.com
Sat Jul 1 17:05:27 PDT 2017

This isn't something we'll consider for WiX v3.x (WiX v3.x line is done) but there are big enough changes in WiX v4 that we can try to make life easier.

1. ::MsiGetFIleVersion() - I'm not thrilled about calculating file versions differently than MSI will when applying the install (given versions are so important) and I'm even less thrilled about parsing the file version information by hand. But if it can be shown that the C# FileVersionInfo class is a perfect replacement for ::MsiGetFileVersion() then I'd consider that like for like swap. I'm assuming that Mono (or whatever) has an implementation for FileVersionInfo.

2. ::MsiGetFileHash() - same as above but I'm more comfortable that MD5 is MD5 and we can get the DWORDs split into the table correctly, so I expect this one could just work out.

3. Cab compression in C# - I'm not at all interested at recreating "smart cabbing" in C#. However, I am very much thinking about getting rid of the multi-threading and winterop.dll and instead launching a process to do cab compression. Essentially, much of winterop.dll turns into one (or more) executable(s). If you've recreated winterop.dll already, not sure this helps significantly... but maybe.

4. Stopping at .idt files - unfortunately, with Merge Modules there are phases of processing that happen after .idt file generation (WiX actually uses .idt files to create the MSI today). You are probably avoiding use of Merge Modules today. So, I'll keep this request in mind but I don't remember the processing is as simple as you make it out to be here. <smile/>

5. .NET Core - I'm currently investigating how much of WiX can move to .NET Core. The goal isn't x-plat but if we get good solutions for the above and .NET Core makes the x-plat just work out, maybe this work moves from "we'll try not to completely break WiX use on Linux" to "get a 'winterop.exe' Linux binary from PuTTY" or maybe even "get 'winterop.exe' Linux binary from some side repo under github.com/wixtoolset)".

So how much of the above would actually help you? Are there are other tasks needed?

PS: Please keep the disparaging of Windows to a minimum. You are welcome to your opinion but voicing it in a project that primarily targets Windows isn't likely to accomplish anything but ruffle feathers of people who work on the project (aka: probably don't think Windows sucks).

Regards,

  Rob Mensching
  CEO
  FireGiant