[wix-devs] Selection of compatible VS instances

Heath Stewart heaths at outlook.com
Wed Jan 25 10:21:15 PST 2017

If they don’t author workloads or components, that’s what would happen. However, as the WIP calls out, VSIXInstaller.exe will actually install all dependent workloads and components authored into the VSIX v3, which probably won’t make many end users happy. But, yes, it’s supported. I can emphasize that more and make sure I get that into the documentation for the VsixDependency element.

The default install of VS is very small and fast (actually, ever since we dropped almost all MSIs even a nearly full install on my machine took only about 20-30 minutes yesterday), so this change in behavior for dependencies was necessary for a more ala carte model. The thing to emphasize is the impact of NOT authoring (or harvesting – either via heat and/or bind-time discovery like with file version info and size) dependencies.