[wix-devs] Burn error with large MSI product versions

Rob Mensching rob at firegiant.com
Fri Jan 13 12:12:39 PST 2017

Wrong mailing list. Try wix-users.

PS: The other package's version is not just too large, it's completely invalid: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa370859(v=vs.85).aspx

From: wix-devs [mailto:wix-devs-bounces at lists.wixtoolset.org] On Behalf Of Joel Budreau
Sent: Friday, January 13, 2017 12:01 PM
To: WiX Toolset Developer Mailing List <wix-devs at lists.wixtoolset.org>
Subject: [wix-devs] Burn error with large MSI product versions

I have an MSI that I want to package into a burn bootstrapper. My MSI has UpgradeCode references to a different product. I only want to detect if the other product is installed or not. When I run my custom BA I see the following log message:

Error 0x800200a: Failed to convert version: 3.6.0.4208657 to DWORD64 for
ProductCode: ...
Detect failed for package: <my package> ...

So, it looks like the detect phase of my new bootstrapper will fail because some other product is using a build number that's too large.

What's the recommended workaround here? Use some other mechanism besides the Upgrade table to detect if the other product is installed?

Thanks,
Joel