[wix-devs] wix3 solution setup

Joseph L. Casale jcasale at activenetwerx.com
Tue Dec 19 07:24:44 PST 2017

-----Original Message-----
From: wix-devs [mailto:wix-devs-bounces at lists.wixtoolset.org] On Behalf Of
Neil Sleightholm via wix-devs
Sent: Tuesday, December 19, 2017 8:20 AM
To: WiX Toolset Developer Mailing List <wix-devs at lists.wixtoolset.org>
Cc: Neil Sleightholm <neil at x2systems.com>
Subject: Re: [wix-devs] wix3 solution setup

> When you install VS2017 you don't get older SDK by default and have to
> manually select them during the installation (or update). Having said that it
> only allows you to install Win SDK 8.1 - if WiX actually requires 7.1 then this
> won't help. Might be worth trying though.

The error message without the Win7 SDK was explicit, I tried installing it in addition
however there are a few issues people face. One has to do with invalid .NET detection
and another is the cpp runtime versions. In my case, I don't believe the accepted means
of hacking the installed .NET versions made a difference as I was not able to get the
Win7 SDK to indicate it would install the older .NET4 components.