[wix-devs] Creating repository(?) for wix4

Phill Hogland phill.hogland at rimage.com
Fri Jun 24 10:04:56 PDT 2016

Greetings;

Sorry for stumbling over git again.  I have a wix 3 fork and I decided to create a wix4 fork and local repository.   After creating the wix4 fork, I did the following steps (from my cheat sheet that I created over time experimenting with git and suggestions from the forum, mostly from Jacob, thanks)

3) In GetHub Desktop (for WiX) cloan the new fork to a folder (selecting the folder where the build tools will be located).  Git will create a subfolder of the repository name.
4) git remote add upstream https://github.com/wixtoolset/wix3.git
5) git fetch upstream
4) Assume work directory is free of changes:
   git status
5) git checkout develop >>>resulted in checking out 4468 files successfully.

6) git merge upstream develop  >>>merge: upstream - not something we can merge
7) git push origin develop:develop >>>FATAL: 'origin' does not appar to be a git repository

FATAL: Could not read from remote repository  Please make sure you have the correct access rights

I then ran git status

It says that the branch is up-to-date with the 'upstream/develop'

You have unmerged paths: fix conflicts and run 'git/commit'

both added: .gitattributes

both added: .gitignore

I think these were created when the local repository were created.  Do I add them, or should I take some other action?  I will also comment that I plan to travel in a few hours, and I am trying to get a laptop configured to take with me if I can find some free cycles to play with wix