[wix-devs] WiX v4 Opportunity: New WixBA UI

Rob Mensching rob at firegiant.com
Wed Jun 22 10:06:24 PDT 2016

I want to throw this idea out for someone interested in doing some work in WiX v4. Hopefully, someone will be interested in picking it up. If so, I'll offer to write the WIP.

The WixBA today is very *different*. That was a conscious decision to demonstrate how much more you can do with UI in Bundles. Some people thought the UI was cool, some people never liked it. That was okay.

However today, the UI is getting "old". It needs a refresh and WiX v4 is a great place to put it.

So, I'd like to propose that we make the WiX v4.0 WixBA UI look like the new Appx installer UI: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/apps/app-installer/9nblggh4nns1

There are a lot of random reasons why I think this is a good idea. It's a clean UI that is not a wizard. We'll get back to something simple. Also, it'll be associated with "future of installation UI" looking just like what is available in Windows 10. Plus, it should be *really* easy to implement in WPF. <smile/>

Hopefully someone (or even a couple people) would be interested in picking this project up.

Regards,

  Rob Mensching
  CEO
  FireGiant