[wix-devs] RuntimeTest in wix4

Rob Mensching rob at firegiant.com
Thu Dec 29 20:36:26 PST 2016

I like that idea.

-----Original Message-----
From: wix-devs [mailto:wix-devs-bounces at lists.wixtoolset.org] On Behalf Of Bob Arnson
Sent: Thursday, December 29, 2016 8:35 PM
To: WiX Toolset Developer Mailing List <wix-devs at lists.wixtoolset.org>
Subject: [wix-devs] RuntimeTest in wix4

[This sender failed our fraud detection checks and may not be who they appear to be. Learn about spoofing at http://aka.ms/LearnAboutSpoofing]

While doing some work in the wix4 tests -- https://github.com/wixtoolset/wix4/pull/224 -- I ran across something I found an oddity.

A bunch of WiX and Burn tests are marked with the RuntimeTest attribute, which means they muck with the machine (and usually require elevation). I'm thinking the best way to organize them is by putting them into their own assemblies rather than requiring a magic environment variable to be set while running all the other tests.

Maybe there's some history but I can't imagine why different assemblies are a bad idea. Any thoughts/objections?