[wix-devs] FirewallException to winmgmt (WMI In)

Bob Arnson bob at firegiant.com
Wed Dec 21 17:46:18 PST 2016

Bad guess. :) It's all documented; netsh uses the API, not the other way around. https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa365344(v=vs.85).aspx

All it takes is someone to do the work.

-----Original Message-----
From: wix-devs [mailto:wix-devs-bounces at lists.wixtoolset.org] On Behalf Of Joel Budreau
Sent: Wednesday, 21 December, 2016 20:10
To: WiX Toolset Developer Mailing List <wix-devs at lists.wixtoolset.org>
Subject: Re: [wix-devs] FirewallException to winmgmt (WMI In)

I've been managing these kinds of advanced firewall exceptions by implementing #2 like you mentioned above.

My (quite removed) take is that #1 has been unimplemented for so long because Microsoft doesn't seem too eager to document the C++ or C# APIs that perform the same tasks that "netsh advfirewall firewall ..." does on the command line. Wix extensions seem to be designed to help free people from having to create their own custom action dlls for common installer tasks. These netsh advanced firewall rules are already accessible without the need to call windows APIs from code, so my guess is that #1 will never happen.