[wix-devs] WIP: Deprecate and remove Package element

Phill Hogland phill.hogland at rimage.com
Wed Aug 24 05:33:39 PDT 2016

To elaborate on the concern that I posted yesterday, the scenario where we need to set Product/@Manufacturer to a different value than Package/@Manufacturer is not limited to redistribution of third-party drivers.

We also have internally created drivers for which the division which created the drivers, used a slightly different spelling of our company name in the Manufacturer section of the driver's INF file, than the spelling of our company name used for all of our MSI (Product and Package) specifications.  So for this group of drivers each MSI has a different spelling of our Company name for Product/@Manufacturer (to match the INF file) than is used for Package/@Manufacturer.  Unlike my practice when redistributing a third-party driver, for these internally created drivers I do not specify a Package/@Comments field.

I believe the the requirement, imposed by the WixDifxAppExtension, that the Product/@Manufacturer must match the name as specified in the driver's INF file's Manufacturer section, is really a defect of the WixDifxAppExtension implementation, but I have not fully researched that assumption.