[wix-devs] v4 - which .NET Framework?

Bob Arnson bob at firegiant.com
Tue Aug 2 10:13:58 PDT 2016

4.6 is still supported: https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/dotnet/2015/12/09/support-ending-for-the-net-framework-4-4-5-and-4-5-1/

-----Original Message-----
From: wix-devs [mailto:wix-devs-bounces at lists.wixtoolset.org] On Behalf Of Rob Mensching
Sent: Tuesday, 2 August, 2016 13:08
To: WiX Toolset Developer Mailing List <wix-devs at lists.wixtoolset.org>
Subject: Re: [wix-devs] v4 - which .NET Framework?

We could install many different versions of .NET Framework in the Bundle but I was trying to keep it simpler than that. We don't support installing WiX Toolset on XP. So Vista is the lowest bar. My understanding is v4.6.0 isn't supported. So if v4.6.1 doesn't support Vista I think the simple answer is v4.5.2 everywhere. I'd only really want to do the more complicated scenario below if there isn't a single .NET Framework that supports all our target OS's (aka: Vista+).

As for not up to date machines, we should either solve the problem or ensure there is a good error message in mbapreq. This is the same experience everyone else uses so it might as well be good.