[wix-devs] v4 - which .NET Framework?

Sean Hall r.sean.hall at gmail.com
Tue Aug 2 07:51:06 PDT 2016

This is continuing the discussion started at
https://github.com/wixtoolset/wix4/pull/209.

In order to avoid upgrading someone's NETFX just for WiX, we will need to
setup an InstallCondition for the .NET package.  This is because those
packages have no InstallCondition by default, so even if the BA can run
without going through the prereq bundle, the bundle is still going to
install the package we include.

Bob said we should avoid installing anything below v4.5.2 because that's
the oldest supported version.  If we're caring about what Microsoft
supports, then why are we still targeting an unsupported framework?  It
seems like we're basically trying to get into the position where our bundle
never installs NETFX.  I think if we keep targeting .NET 4 and only include
.NET 4 in our bundle, we would almost never install NETFX anyway.