[wix-devs] update: Github - preparing to work on 4932

Phill Hogland phill.hogland at rimage.com
Sat Oct 24 12:43:47 PDT 2015

OK thanks.  I actually forged ahead this morning and it sounds like I did as you advised (plus you clarified what I should do with the old branch).  Thanks!

I just tried my hand at creating the 'history' file, and I'm about ready to do the Pull request.

I do have a few questions.

After I looked at it again, your explanation in the meeting was more correct than mine.  I guess I had masked the fact that certain other extensions also did not have those de strings by also putting the strings in my own wxl files. But before I talk about the other extensions, let me describe another curiosity that I came across.

First I created a Test project, like my production project such that when I added the SqlExtension to the project and added the de-DE culture, I got the link errors as reported in WIXBUG:4932.
Then in the ext\SqlExtension source I made a copy of the es-es.wxl file, changed the culture to de-de, and copied the Sql related strings from the WixExt_de-de.wxl file.

Curious Observation - the test project yields multiple lines as follows:
C:\Development\Installs\wix-dev\wix3\src\ext\SqlExtension\wixlib\SqlExtension.wxs(26,0): error LGHT0311: A string was provided with characters that are not available in the specified database code page '1252'. Either change these characters to ones that exist in the database's code page, or update the database's code page by modifying one of the following attributes: Product/@Codepage, Module/@Codepage, Patch/@Codepage, PatchCreation/@Codepage, or WixLocalization/@Codepage.

Since I recalled seeing this issue in my production project, I looked there to see the solution which was to add the WixLocalization/@Codepage (and the WixLocalization/@Language ) to the header, as I was advised in wix-users some time back.
<WixLocalization Culture="de-de" Codepage="1252" Language="1031"

Notice that I am setting the Codepage to what the linker complained about, as that is the recommended code page from WC3.  I wonder if the error message is incorrect?  I set the wxl header attributes in each of my cultures to the correct Codepage and Language for that locale, but I notice that none of the other wxl in any Wix extension project has the Codepage or Language set in the header.

In the pull request that I am about to send I set the wxl header as described for only the new de-de.wxl files that I added to the:
SqlExtension
ComPlusExtension
FirewallExtension
IIsExtension
MsmqExtension
UtilExtension

I pulled snippets of code from my production project into my test project to test the build process with regard to finding these new de-de.wxl strings for each extension type, except CompPlusExtension and IIsExtesnion (which I don't have any experience with).

So you might comment on whether I should be setting the Codpage="1252" in the wxl header.

I also have a group of these strings out at the translator that my company will submit back to Wix Toolset for other cultures.  I have some of those translations now and should have more in a couple of weeks.
Thanks for the help.
Phill