[wix-devs] Name and ShortName attributes used together

Blair Murri osito at live.com
Mon Jul 27 05:02:44 PDT 2015

From: Blair Murri
Sent: ‎Sunday‎, ‎July‎ ‎19‎, ‎2015 ‎12‎:‎28‎ ‎AM
To: wix-devs at lists.sourceforge.net

When dark runs on a package that includes both short and long names in Filename type fields, dark creates both Name and ShortName attributes (as is completely correct, if one is to recreate the same package). However, if the "long" name happens to be 8.3 compliant, candle inconsistently rejects the short name (whether it matches the "long" name or not) depending on the element (some elements reject that case, others don't).

According to what I was able to find on MSDN, there's no harm done (although obviously it isn't the best practice) to specify an 8.3 compliant long name, whether or not it matches the short name, so an error seems to be a bit pedantic. I think a warning would be more appropriate in that case (unless the user asked for pedantic?) for each of the places where this pattern is used.

Thoughts?

Blair Murri